From America, With Love (Made in China)

[Nar Phu diary will be posted from tomorrow]

dinesh wagle hot zone cap

Caption? See the other pic below

I love wearing caps and I wear all kinds of caps (fav color: black) but I am not Kathmandu based photojournalist Min Bajracharya who has a big collection of caps that he wears, or Nepali pop singer Nabin K Bhattarai whose cap habit was so much in news until he took that off to reveal a partially bald head. Neither my cap habit is remotely similar to that of Indian singing sensation Himesh Reshammiya who never shows his head sans cap and that’s the subject of talks and newspaper articles. I had almost stopped wearing caps in the recent months but yesterday was a different day.

I received a box in my office that someone had brought from the post office: full items presented to me by the people in the United States. On behalf of Yahoo!’s “Kevin Sites In The Hot Zone” team, Lisa Liu had sent me t-shirts, caps and key rings for my contributing to the ‘mission’ when Kevin was here in Nepal earlier this year. Kevin’s year-long One Man Band journalism (SOJO) in major hot spots around the world ended recently and his back up team in Santa Monica, California wanted to acknowledge the cooperation he received from various local journalists like me. It was cool to receive those stuffs and they are all great. Thank you Hot Zone team! But something in the present compelled to write this blog. Caps and key rings were made in China where as t-shirts, it was printed, were crafted in Haiti. What a globalized world we live in! Someone from United States sends a present that is made in China to a person in Nepal. Plus, I am fascinated by the rising economic influence of China, Nepal’s close neighbor. Something sent from California is made in China. What if, my friend said, the caps were sent to Kathmandu directly from China? It would have been faster, he said, talking about the long journey that the caps made before landing on my head.

dinesh wagle hot zone cap

I am amazed by the pace in which China is becoming rich. When I was in the US in April this year, I bought a laptop computer (which I am using to type these lines) that was made in China. Many of the electronic accessories were Chinese made. Chinese economic influence is growing worldwide. (Recently China hosted several African Heads of States and Government leaders. I read with interest all those news about growing Chinese trade surplus and the complaints of United States and the European Union about the value of currency Yuan. Coincidently, I was reading a New York Times news report in International Herald Tribune. In the recent years, Indian economy is also growing rapidly and some Nepali columnists are already starting to wonder about the possible Chinese and Indian economic growth spilling over to Nepal. Nepal’s hydropower potential comes as an example in such columns and recent internal conference in Kathmandu has increased the hope of possible investment in Nepali rivers. Both China and India (especially India in our context) need energy and selling electricity to India will be one of the best options to take Nepali economy forward. Chinese companies are also interested in investing in our water. Lets hope for the best that we will get more benifits then caps from growing Chinese economic power. Again, thanks Yahoo! and “Kevin Sites In The Hot Zone”!

dinesh wagle hot zone cap

I am wearing Kevin Sites In The Hot Zone Cap and T-shirt presented to me by the SOJO’s team at Yahoo!

Related Blogs:
1. Backpack Journalist: Kevin Sites In Kathmandu

2. Meet the Rebels: Maoist Guerilla of Nepal

Here is the NYT news that I was reading yesterday evening:

China’s Trade Surplus Climbs Sharply

SHANGHAI, Nov. 8 — China said Wednesday that its trade surplus with the rest of the world had leapt to a record $23.8 billion in October, the latest sign of this country’s phenomenal rise as a trading superpower. The surplus, which blew past the previous record of $18.8 billion set in August, is almost certain to add to longstanding trade frictions with the United States and the European Union and lead to renewed calls for China to allow its currency to appreciate at a faster pace.

For the last few years, the Chinese economy has been growing at a blistering pace — as high as 10 percent. Its foreign currency reserves, the world’s largest, hit $1 trillion this week, and its factory floors are pumping out millions of toys, textiles, DVD players and laptop computers.

In the first nine months of this year, China says it has racked up a $133 billion surplus with the rest of the world, primarily with the United States and the European Union. In all of last year, China reported a record $101 billion surplus. Indeed, China’s surplus for the month of October was almost as big as its surplus for the entire year of 2004, which was $25.5 billion.

Another report from AP on rising Chinese trade surplus:

China Expects $150B Trade Surplus

BEIJING (AP) — China’s politically sensitive trade surplus should soar to a record $150 billion this year, nearly 50 percent above the 2005 level, according to Commerce Ministry figures reported Friday by a state news agency.

The figures were the government’s highest projection yet for the mounting trade gap, which has fueled strains with Washington and other trading partners. They are demanding that China open markets wider to imports and ease controls that they say keep its currency weak, giving its exporters an unfair price advantage.

The Commerce Ministry said exports this year are expected to total $960 billion this year, with imports rising to $810 billion, the official Xinhua News Agency said.

That would produce a deficit of $150 billion, up from $102 billion in 2005. The government said Wednesday that China’s monthly trade surplus hit a record monthly high of $23.8 billion in October. It was the fifth new monthly record this year. Both exports and imports are growing by double-digit rates, but import growth has slowed amid government efforts to cool off an investment boom that Chinese leaders worry could ignite a financial crisis.

The Commerce Ministry earlier forecast a trade surplus of at least $140 billion this year. The communist government has let its currency, the yuan, rise by about 3 percent against the U.S. dollar over the past 16 months.

6 thoughts on “From America, With Love (Made in China)

1. Here are comments that were removed because of technology failure and were reposted:

3. Ms. America Says:
    November 12th, 2006 at 4:39 am

I am none the less remarkably impressed that Lisa Liu hads sent you a hat; and more so just jealous!!!!

But sad none the less that it came through the US to get to you in Nepal…. and through China\\\\’s manufacturing; just completely amazes me!! And we can\\\\’t even begin to get into my US spoiled obnoxious thoughts on that here!!!

Ok wagle, I am glad that you get the ha! And more so I am glad that Photo number one on this post was taken! As it is possibly one of the best photos that you have ever had of yourself, and damn, thats out of a lot of photos…, I KNOW!!! … And WHO?? am I to judge photos? And who are you to throw them up online only of yourself…

But as Lucinda Williams very poetically sings… ”too cool to be forgotten” Hey hey?? check it out my friend much love and much hapiness out to you for your enjoyment!!! And glad to hear that you are once again back in the swing of things..

hope that one day you swing this way, dude! ha! The sears tower and the chicago skyline is calling for your phots! hmmmm…

4. Comment Box Says:
    November 12th, 2006 at 7:16 am

Simply Wonderful! Sexy! Great! I think thses three synonymous are enough!

But now I am thinking which you will select!

5. Wagle Says:
    November 12th, 2006 at 7:20 am
    🙂 Thanks but oh.. what a tough choice you have given with the last sentence. Any wise suggestion?

6. Comment Box Says:
    November 12th, 2006 at 7:33 am

should I write that too?

7. Wagle Says:
    November 12th, 2006 at 7:35 am

Isn’t it sweet to be specific?

8. Comment Box Says:
    November 12th, 2006 at 7:42 am

Yes, OF COURSE! I am democrat that’s why I am leeting you to select one. Why are you being shy? Let me know how do you describe yourself?

9. Wagle Says:
    November 12th, 2006 at 7:50 am

The election hasn’t arrived yet in the country! Still six months away to exercise the sovereign right of voting to someone or choosing someone or something! I think I am capable of choosing for the CA election but when it comes to selecting the given options, it’s tough! That’s also because the best option that suits me the most is not there: Ragtag jhyaure! That’s what I am! Still, would love to be rescued by you (in terms of finding the right description above) who provided the options!

10. Comment Box Says:
    November 12th, 2006 at 8:07 am

Ragtag Jhaure? what does it mean?

Why don’t you select one among those? I think those all are better than Ragtag Jhyaure?

11. Wagle Says:
    November 12th, 2006 at 8:11 am

Oh..very few realize how good it feels to be Ragtag Jhyaure! And its always good to be among few… even if that means to be in minority and have less rights compared to majority in Democracy!!

If all are better than RJ, will you please also tell which is the best among them?

12. Comment Box Says:
    November 12th, 2006 at 8:31 am

Hehehehehe…..No.

13. Comment Box Says:
    November 12th, 2006 at 8:33 am

What if i said SEXY?

14. Wagle Says:
    November 12th, 2006 at 8:41 am

You see how difficult the choice that was! Even the one who floated the options is now backing off from selecting the one!..
    Hum..as I am typing these lines, my Google Talk his signaling the arrival of new message. Let me check!

Oh…”What if i said SEXY?” How can a Ragtag Jhyaure be Sexy? Isn’t sexy supposed be the one who is attractive, sleek, cute and, in the case of Gmail, user friendly? He, he, must be wondering why the talk of Gmail here? Because I am writing an article on Gmail in which I am using the Nepali equivalent (Kamuk) of the word sexy to describe Gmail. Yes, I am also aware, there are so many other meanings of the word and I don’t think I am anywhere near to any of such definitions. Not even Kamuk for sure!! Though I am ardent fan and advocate of Gmail, I am not Gmail. And please, don’t say ‘if not Gmail, what about Hot Male?’ He, he, he.

15. Comment Box Says:
    November 12th, 2006 at 8:50 am

I think wagle male is very cool, cute, sexy and attractive than G Male and Hot male. What do you think?

16. Wagle Says:
    November 12th, 2006 at 8:59 am

Yaha ta nikai gafadi hunuhunchha hai. [You are a wordsmith!] That’s a big league, the competition between Google and Microsoft, in the form of G and H Mail. No where comes the W Male. La, ke lekhne ke lekhne po bhayo. [Wondering what to write!] Probably, this is the state you can best describe as someone blushing and making face as red as a tomato. Coming back to normalcy, let me ask, do all these words (cool, cute, sexy and attractive) have their Ragtag Jhyaure equivalent?

On a seperate note: It feels great, cool, ’sexier’ and what not, to talk to a ‘known unknown’ (Donald Rumsfeld would love to read this, ha ha) person in the internet!

17. Ms. America Says:
    November 12th, 2006 at 9:55 am

wow. seduction via blog…. what is this world coming too? take advantage of it and njoy it on any level wagleji…. ha.. yes i think on some levels sexy is definately the answer! But in my world goofy and adorable comes to mind! But comment box is right to step out of the box and tell you that the top photo is definately just a hot photo… But photo number three is definately more realistic and a stronger portrait of just good old wagle…..

18. Comment Box Says:
    November 12th, 2006 at 9:44 pm

Wagleji still being shy? It’s not fair yar. Why not Ragtag Jhyaure can be sexy? Come on man! Look what ms america has written, that photo is really very hot.
    Me wordsmith? If i were, I would be also a blogger like you.

(seperate note) You? What a clever fellow! and me wordsmith? It’s not fair Wagle. Anyway I didn’t know wagle feels shy to announce himself SEXY in public. But truth is truth!

That phto is SEXY………….These are not dadada, these are full stop. No more offence! Everyone can see what you are, you’d better not try to offence!

19. Wagle Says:
    November 13th, 2006 at 12:40 am

”Seduction via blog”? Definitely a new terminology for me and I must say that I politely disagree with the observation of Ms America. It seems Lake Michigan is being too provocative today! Has the cool breeze turned into the HOT air in ”The Windy City” Ms. America?

And you the Comment Box, you are THE wordsmith for sure. Yaha ka kura le ta laaj lagne nai bhayo ni, [Of course I feel shy because of your talks], especially when the conversation is going on in a public forum! Ha, ha. If I were to describe myself (which I do sometime), no meaning of sexy remotely represents me. I think, others might disagree, I lack any sexiness! So lets not talk about that, I am pretty much fine with Ragtag Jhyaure! [For the benefit of Ms America: Jhyaure roughly translate into riffraff or roughly dressed boy with not so clean appearance. Look at my beards and uncut hair for example!]

Coming back to the blogger and wordsmith thing, you are a blogger, that\\\\’s for sure. You have all those capabilities and traits and skills to be one. Ask Ms America, if you don\\\\’t trust me, as you tend to believe in what she says! Njoy!

20. Ms. America Says:
    November 13th, 2006 at 1:01 am

I am glad that if you disagree, and even better that it is a “politicaly correct disagreement” … of course the windy city always blows in a little air; but most typically it is nothing but cold air. The temps here are out of control these days and the snows have already begun to fall; but that is the lake effect for you! I think that the hot air was left behind in Nepal and India, so ask me about that on your Hot Male or G male….

But provocative I can not disagree with and will not say that today is much different from any others? Is it? Has Ms. America ever said anything other than exactly what she was thinking? I doubt it, she is not capale of anything other than obnoxious brutality.. At least in her opinion anyways?
    Don’t get shy just because the forum is public, you are the one who chose for it to be on display and online in the first place. You decided to open yourself up to the “world WIDE web” and honey you are just the eight legged creature in the middle. good or bad?

Though I do agree that your number one photo on the post is nothing other than sexy, I still hold fast to the idea that number three surely captures your spirit… and sexy is not what would first come to mind! Goofy totally prevails sexy with wagle any day… hmmm, ha, provocative, or obnoxious again?
    And dont feel the need to define things just for me; I learned long ago when I decided to visit your world just to go ahead and invest in a dictionary… That way this gori gets the truth at least!

I don’t think that you are lacking the sexiness, maybe just not knowing how to really work it!

So riff raff, shaven or unshaven… either way its obvious that there is a lot of out of the box thinking here. And that in any world and by any lakefront, is a good start. Keep it all up Beavis…

By the way; definately goofy is your number one trait above sexy; but who doesn’t just love the head of any class? And lets not even begin to get into your remoteness….

21. Comment Box Says:
    November 13th, 2006 at 10:21 pm

Guf ta kasale diyo thaha paihalyo ni! Khai ta Mustangko blog? When will your tomorrow come?

22. Wagle Says:
    November 14th, 2006 at 12:29 am

Mustang? I never went to Mustang. But yes Manang diaries will be posted…in the next few days! la, la njoy! They say tomorrow never comes! Ha, ha.

23. Comment Box Says:
    November 14th, 2006 at 1:06 am

e, mustang po bhaechha?

ke Ha, ha, postma tomorrow bhaner kin lekheko ta?

Guff!!

24. whoztat Says:
    November 14th, 2006 at 11:43 pm

oooooooooo this is interesting! the public seducing of a Sexy Man! or rather a Public figure, Sure agree Comment Box Wagle Ji is the next Big thing in Nepalese journalism and undoubteldly the most eligible bachelor in town!! lol Kya khatra discussion initiate garechau dhanyabad!

25. Comment Box Says:
    November 15th, 2006 at 12:30 am

Thanks whoztat!

Tar khai wagleji lajaer khapnu chhain! LOL

ab uhako gala nai rato bhaisakyo re!

wagleji another one I got, what you have to tell now?

26. Wagle Says:
    November 15th, 2006 at 5:27 am

Well, what to say (thank you?) to whoztat for advertising me here. I though the whole site was dedicated to me by me for myself for that purpose (self promotion) but seems whoztat has gone a step further with some questionable \\\\’facts\\\\’ like \\\\”the next Big thing in Nepalese journalism and undoubteldly the most eligible bachelor in town!!\\\\” I find it somewhat difficult to completely reject the statement since there is some truth in that like, yes, I am a bachelor, but THE MOST ELIGIBLE?? I don\\\\’t think so. There are so many HOT and HAPPENING folks around, you just need to SEE. Howztat!

Ani what is this CommentBox, kati saro jiskako And don\\\\’t be makkha hai for whoztat\\\\’s \\\\”dhanyabad\\\\”. Everyone is now terming \\\\”seduction\\\\” to your kaam! Now you owe them an explanation!

27. Comment Box Says:
    November 15th, 2006 at 6:09 am

HAHAHAHA….I

So clever fellow yaar, MAne!

maile ke jiskaunu aafai lajaer dallo parne! Bhaena ni yo ta!

I told you that what you are!

maile ta bhako kura bhaneko!

HOIN BHANE HOINA BHANNE NI! TYO PHOTO TA JE HOS BABAL CHHA. lau ja thoki deko captial lettermai! hehehehe

28. Wagle🙂 Says:
    November 15th, 2006 at 6:17 am

LOL. Ali ali matra lajayeko!

Okay, if you sya the photois babal, fine. The credit goes to the photographer, in this case, Mr. Email Wagle.

I am just a poor guy who happened to be posing just to show that I was wearing the Hot Zone cap and t-shirt. Oh..may be those Hot Zone stuffs have something to do with the photo being babal or whatever. CommentBox you must see the photo of Kevin Sites, the ultimate Hot Zone man. He is really HOT! Lau ta, ma pani capital letters mai bhandiun na!!

29. Comment Box Says:
    November 15th, 2006 at 8:11 am

I am talking about the photo from the begining. U can check the comment!

“Lau ta, ma pani capital letters mai bhandiun na!! ” Kevinle bujhdain ke bho ra?! HEhehehe

HEy Email,
    Babal photo khicheko babal Badhai chha. I think i too should contact you for my BABAL photo.

30. Wagle🙂 Says:
    November 15th, 2006 at 8:16 am

I checked the comment and found the phrase “Damn Look !”

Then those choices “Wonderful! Sexy! Great!” came in comment no. 4

He he. I will work, again, as a transletor for Kevin. Come on, say something good about him!

I think Email is reading this, if not, he will soon!!

31. Comment Box Says:
    November 15th, 2006 at 8:26 am

Kevinlai bhanne aru nai kohi hola! ma ta Wagleko tyo photo herer makhkha chhu.

I am pretty sure that i had written those words to praise the photograph!

I would love to talk with Email.

tar director ta Wagle nai ho ni hain ra? BABAL direction ko lagi ta I will call you.

32. Wagle🙂 Says:
    November 15th, 2006 at 8:31 am

Well, I directed, that’s true and actually at one point I was frustrated that he was unable to shot as per my imagination!!!! But finally, I think, he did. Good job. I think that’s enough about directing! I am already thinking about retiring from the job!

Haina, CommentBox le bhanda arkai mahatto hunchha ni Hey Kevin, isn’t that so? Don’t you think CB’s remarks regarding your look are important?

33. Comment Box Says:
    November 15th, 2006 at 8:37 am

HAHAHHA……….

Why yar! That’s so nice. Getting hot hot comment, isn’t it funny? Ur job is also great yar!
    I don’t have anything to say KEVIN, I don’t like Khaire! I like nepali GORE!

34. Wagle🙂 Says:
    November 15th, 2006 at 8:40 am

Oh..don’t break Kevin’s heart! He is simply great! I mean must be great!! LOL. Oh..hai, all Nepali Goraes, are you reading this? Jump over a few hundred feets, men! Why don’t you drop your email address for all those interested Nepali Gores, CB? That would be a service to the lonely souls of Nepali GORES!!

35. Comment BoX Says:
    November 15th, 2006 at 11:13 pm

Wagle, I like only one gore yar, kaha sabai gorelai bhaneko ho ra?
    Who could be interested on me? If u r not. HEHEHEHEhe……
    By the way thanks for your advertisement but that would be last way to find a groom for me.
    i was expecting some words from email!

36. whoztat Says:
    November 16th, 2006 at 2:36 am

I would say the first pic is Sexier than all the other that follows, and comment box all the best “nepali gore” lai jal phalna safal hunu! khaire ko kehi bharosa hunna..tara nepali pani ustai ta hun ni “Aj puja kal koi duja”…hahahahah ani ke ho wagleji CB lai euta email nagarne!! kasto nisthuri ho tapain ta?
    Ma chahin all eyes for blue eyed Khaires and I think Kevin is damn dashing .Kya Kapal cha, kya gait , kya muscles hahahaha Khatra Kevin lai mero Big Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii N Wagle ji too much dadi is bad, Halka raknu bes hola, its Got Universal Appeal from California to China (just like Kevin’s LOL

37. Email Says:
    November 16th, 2006 at 11:15 am

Thanks for positive comments regarding photos that I took.

I also need to give due credit to big Wagle for superb direction!

But I still can’t understand which part is being praised the most: good looks in the photo, or the way the photo is taken or Dinesh’s pose in the photo.
    It was indeed very hard to take those photos. First one is just cool I think.

Thanks CommentBox for your encouraging words regarding my photography. I don’t intend to be a photographer but if same sorts of comment start coming, who knows what happens in future. If you really want, I might consider! But I think director’s demand is being emphasized here.

38. Comment Box Says:
    November 16th, 2006 at 10:09 pm

Hey Email,

Everything of photograph deserve praise. Good looks, no no i would like to write, sexy look, the way the photo is taken and Of Course Wagle’s POSE. KYa BABAL chha ni hai?

“If you really want, I might consider” of course i want you to be a good photographer after all i am well wisher of yours as well.
    Yes, director is most important figure to whom we can’t ignore, Wagle will be remembered, don’t worry!

39. Raj Shrestha Says:
    November 17th, 2006 at 1:35 am

Dinesh Dai,
    By the first foto i thought that it may be rapper but that was not less than a rapper “Rapper DW”
    Made in china love from US
    kool
    any way you seems great

40. whoztat Says:
    November 17th, 2006 at 11:25 pm

had time so was re-readng everything posted above. Came to the conclusion you don’t seem to be flirting here anyways the change is distinct you sure seem to be wanting to initiate a discussion on Hardcore Business ! Ke ho wagleji ma ta nikai paribartan dekhchu ni lol

41. Wagle Says:
    November 19th, 2006 at 8:26 pm

Raj bro, thanks for your words yar. Sayad arko juni ma rapper nai hunu parla ki And there is another option of direction as well! But Yo juni ma chai I am enjoying being a reporter!

What’s that change that you see in me, whoztat? Or shall I say there is something wrong in your observation?

42. whoztat Says:
    November 20th, 2006 at 5:10 pm

What do you want me do do Wagleji reveal all the changes? Hahahaha LOL then ur blog stats will soar like anything. That would be something wouldn’t it?
    And Wrong with my Observation! NO WaY! Have I ever been wrong??? hehehehe but let me begin with ur hardcore economics guff here, that’s a great CHANGE!

2. crap blog…i just wasted my lifes 2 precious minutes….i hope other readers dont do the same so this is a warning sign for them….Totally crap blog.

3. Hi Sirensongs,

I didn’t mean or say K Sites didn’t PAY me money! That wasn’t what I talked about really. The point was about the invasion of Chinese made things in American market.

Please post your thoughts. (कृपया तपाईंलाई लागेको लेख्नुस् ।)

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s